Free Tax Preparation
Our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance/Tax Counseling for the Elderly (VITA/TCE) program offers free income tax preparation for those with qualifying household annual incomes of $56,000 and under. Available site hours, locations and services offered may vary. For an appointment please call 2-1-1 or 269-788-6500 extension 2038 starting January 15.
(VITA/TCE) return preparation sites are operated by IRS certified volunteers. The list below indicates the forms and types of returns we can complete. There are items that are considered out of scope for the VITA program. Your patience and understanding are appreciated.
Help Your Community (Volunteer)
The VITA program is always looking for volunteers. We will train and get you prepared to become an intake specialist or certified tax preparer. There are many days, times and locations that make it easy to work within your schedule. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Sheryl at 269-788-6500 extension 2041.
- Returns completed during your appointment.
- Returns can be dropped off and picked up within 72 business hours (site and times to be announced).
- Complete your own return at www.myfreetaxes.com. This software is sponsored by United Way and H&R Block. For returns with higher incomes there may be a fee to submit to the IRS.
- Assistance using the FOC computer lab.
- Check eligibility for Education Credits (Form 1099-T), Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Credit,
- Home Heating Credit, Property Tax Credit and Itemized Deductions.
- Prior Year and Amended Returns limited.
What To Bring
- If married and filing a joint return, both spouses must be present
- Photo identification for you and your spouse (if married)
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number documents for you, your spouse and/or dependents
- Birth dates for you, spouse, and/or dependents
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- All wage W-2 and 1099 forms
- All 1099 forms including: Interest, dividends, unemployment, social security, IRAs, gambling winnings,
- cancelled debt, capital gains/loss, health savings accounts and education forms
- Forms 1095-A, B or C (ACA Statements)
- Information regarding other income
- Information for all deductions/credits
- Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
- For direct deposit of a refund, you must provide proof of an account including the bank’s routing number and your account number
- For prior year returns, copies of W2s or income transcripts from IRS (and state, if applicable)
- Heating bill from January or February showing home heating credit amount
- Lease agreements or rental information